Game #7: Winnipeg Jets 0-3 New York Rangers
- Predictably, far fewer Jets jerseys in the crowd than there were Canadiens jerseys last night. The fans must have opted to spend all their ticket money to sit under a leaking ceiling on Long Island. Understandable choice.
- During the anthems, somebody unfurls a banner reading: "2012 END FED RON PAUL". I'm not heavily into U.S. politics, but it seems odd that Ruslan Fedotenko's contract status would be such a prominent issue for Republicans.
- After the excitement of last night's game, it seems back-to-back games for both teams is showing. The first period is unremarkable, notable only for one crazy sequence in Marty Biron's goalmouth in which the puck is stopped on the goal-line two or three times and ends up with every player on the ice bar Jets goalie Ondřej Pavelec either in or right around the crease. Dustin Byfuglien does a passable impression of an NFL fullback leaping over the pile at the goal-line, but cannot force the football to break the plane.
- The second period is almost equally unremarkable, notable only for Derek Stepan's PP goal to open the scoring.
- A bit more interesting in the third. Three quick Jets penalties, give the Rangers the opportunity to get booed for failing to score on an extended 5-on-3 PP. (Actually not that bad a PP - Pavelec mostly responsible for the lack of scoring.) Then Marián Gáborik converts on a 2-on-1 rush led by the recently excellent Derek Stepan.
- Late Jets pressure is pretty sporadic and Gáborik seals the game in the last seconds with a lob wedge backhand empty netter. Biron earns his first shutout as a Ranger and continues his strong start to the season.
- Signs of the tenuous strength of the financial support provided by Winnipeg fans are revealed when two of them duck the fare barriers at the crowded subway station rather than face the outrageous $2.50 cost.
Still a few questions to be answered too, such as:
- When will Marc Staal recover and return to the line-up?
- Will Dan Girardi die of exhaustion if that doesn't happen soon?
- When will "Sausage Boss by Andrew Carmellini" finally open at MSG?