Friday, October 29, 2010

Inaugural Hockey Recon Post: What Scares Us the Most in this Year’s NHL

Welcome Ghouls and Boos, Scaredy Cats and Paijabas to Hockey Recon’s inaugural blog post. Happy Halloween all! Before we throw on our broken spectacles, Chiefs jerseys and prosthetic fake teeth to head out for a little “check or treat”, we thought we’d kick off the launch of our Blog- our Collective in the Crease- by sharing with you all the things that keep us sleeping with a mouth guard in and one eye open, our Peter Forsberg night lights on bright, writhing in a cold sweat, unable to sleep for fear of waking to find Lou Lamareillo’s head at the foot of our bed with Glen Sather standing over us ominously prepared to plunge a sharpened goalie stick into our hearts.

This is what most terrifies each of us in this year’s NHL:

Read on after the break...



Alicia "44KT" Sprenkle
Uneducated fans at hockey games… Yes, unfortunately we can’t keep them away from the arenas no matter how hard we try. If only we could use Chris Pronger to keep them away, but then again who is Chris Pronger? They wouldn’t know.

It feels like we are always stuck near at least one “fan” that embarrasses the heck out of us as a true fan. They question every whistle, every penalty, and yell things that make it hard to tell which sport you are watching. When I think of fake “fans”, unfortunately I can name names of people that I am either related to or am lucky to know that fit the description perfectly, and I even have an experience at a Flyers game with one of them that shall rename nameless which was an absolutely nightmare.

Long story short: The woman I went with was late picking me up for the game… Strike 1. Unless you have a legitimate excuse as to why you couldn’t get to a game early, you never miss warm-ups. Or maybe that’s just me. On the ride there I got a lecture on why she hated fights and would refuse to watch one if it happened at the game we went to (Needless to say, with Matt Clackson in the lineup, there was a fight.) She basically stated why the fights were basically barbaric and childish. It was kind of amusing how much she hated them. Not everyone likes hockey fights, but to refuse to watch them not because you fear for players getting injured but because you think they are immature struck me as odd… Strike 2.

“Alicia, who’s in net for the Flyers?”
“Ray Emery.”
“Why isn’t Marty Biron playing? I thought he’s the starter.”
“The Flyers didn’t re-sign him. They have Boucher and Emery now.”
“Well that sucks. Biron was sooo good.”…Strike 3.

Strike 4 is almost too good or I should say bad.
“Alicia, who’s the captain?”
“Mike Richards.”
“Again? I thought he was captain last season .”
“He was, but he’s captain again and will be for a long time.”
“Oh… I thought they pick a new captain every season.” …Strike 4

And it didn’t even end with the questions. There was the constant yelling of “Why can’t we just get the puck down the other end?” and saying “we” with every statement about the Flyers. If you aren’t a true fan, you have no right to refer to the team as “we.” In the end, I even missed the Flyers overtime winner because of the woman I was with. She made me take the escalator down to the lower level to watch the game standing right where you go to walk to your seats. But we just barely got there in time an even though we did I had to watch it on the screen because I couldn’t see over anyone.

So please if you know a person like this, at least teach them a thing or two before you bring them to a game. They create a nightmare for the fans around them. It ruins the whole experience of a hockey game. It’s even more of a nightmare than Patrick Kane’s playoff mullet or the Flyers’ power play (hey, at least they seem to be doing better).

Cassie "Dagmar27" McClellan
Let's see...what scares me about the NHL....

That's easy: officiating; and not just on the ice. Colin "Soupy" Campbell's Wheel of Justice is a joke. A really bad joke, of course, but still a joke. Seriously, does he just have the VP of NHL Marketing make these calls for him? (And we all know how awful NHL marketing is!)

And then there are the officials in the so-called "War Room" in Toronto reviewing calls. Yeah, okay. I love the way they don't bother to tell anyone - unless you watch Hockey Night in Canada - that the War Room (and the NHL Toronto offices) resides in the home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Air Canada Centre. We can rely on the integrity and impartiality of those off-ice officials, of course, since the Maple Leafs hasn't won a cup since the dinosaurs went extinct. Chelios might remember when that was.

Then there are the on-ice officials. We've all seen how great, wonderful, and consistent THEY are. I was rather looking forward to the ECHL officials to see if they were any better, while the NHL officials were still trying to work out their agreement with the league. Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the absurdity of NHL officiating.

However, as a side note - in defense of the on-ice officials - I have heard that a reason why officials aren't that great these days may be because they just can't keep up with the speed of the game. A lot of the officials aren't in the same kind of shape as the players, so they're not able to maintain the same kind of pace that the players do. And, therefore, aren't in place to make some of the calls that they should be. Which makes sense, if you think about it.

Maybe Gary Roberts ought to open up a training camp for on-ice officials...? That's a scary thought all in its own. Yikes.

Chris "22" Shafer
Whatever it is, we know its not Pickles.. Ok I take it back, (he will kill me for this-22 please know this was just Juice messing with ya.). Chris gets a pass on today’s blog, because he is in Washington DC this weekend trying to restore his sanity, and for this we applaud him!

CCD3M
What I fear most about the NHL these days is the disappearance of old--I mean, extremely veteran-- players. With the Detroit Red Wings forcing Kirk Maltby's retirement before age 40 and the NHL stepping in to keep teams from signing players to contracts that expire at age 45, I fear there may soon be no place for the uber-veteran players to ply their trade in the NHL. The entire league banded together last season to try to force the retirement of Chris Chelios, but the future Hall-of-Famer outsmarted them all by returning to his roots and signing in the minors, eventually working his way back up to the big show. The KHL is further adding to the conspiracy by offering contracts to older players such as Pavol Demitra, Sergei Zubov and Sergei Fedorov. The Montreal Canadiens even benched Alexei Kovalev for a road trip two seasons ago.
What ever happened to the need for veteran leadership? More and more teams are giving the captaincy to teenagers and barely-20-somethings. Numerous veteran players are still without jobs even three weeks into the season as teams opt to go with recent draft picks and young prospects. Names like Robert Lang, Owen Nolan and Mathieu Schneider are still available. Rory Fitzpatrick, once an All-Star nominee, is still unsigned. Even Bill Guerin, who is honored with the distinction of having once been Sidney Crosby's winger, is unemployed at this time. Coaches are in on the "ageism" too. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella has suggested that if veteran captain Chris Drury can't keep his fingers from breaking, he should have to wear special, ultra-padded gloves. What's next, wrapping Doug Weight in a Tempurpedic mattress pad? These are all reasons why I fear the NHL is phasing out the age. However, I do have to applaud the New Jersey Devils for sticking with Martin Brodeur as the starter in the face of lame excuses like "save percentage" and "goals against average".

Justine "JuiceinLA" Sliwka
Oh I’ll tell you what scares me in the NHL this year-MSG! Sadly, not an acronym for Madison Square Gardens Inc. – thought the Ranger Ownership could easily make the list. MSG stands for:  Media, Sexual Assault and Goattending.

Media. The Hockey News hitting hard but missing the mark and getting it WRONG in a disturbing and sensationalist manner in this week’s report the long haired athlete trend, wasting my time asking whether NHL players are such huge chumps that they are following the Bieber/Brady trend of shaggy hair.

Bixches Please. There is only one man to whom any self respecting NHL player would pay hair homage. I give you “The Fro”:


Goatending. Never have we had a more unstable year. There is no such thing as a starter in the NHL this year, unless everyone else is injured on your team. The Stanley Cup champions try to pull a “Red Wing” and hire a veteran goaltender down on his luck and with a chip on his shoulder, hoping he becomes an “Osgood”..(ahem. Please. Marty Turtle: You are NO Chris Osgood, thanks for playing.) The Bulin Wall has 4 wins in regulation, after being tossed around the league like a puck bunny. Howards hurt, Backstrom is all over the place, Nabby is drowning himself in good Russian vodka somewhere in Siberia. Mainstays like Brody and the alleged heir apparent, Berto Luongo are starting so inconsistently that guys like Neuvwirth are starting to look like contenders….

Sexual Assault –The Canadian justice system for the pardon of Monsters like former WHL Coach Graham James who spent only 3.5 years in jail, guilty of 9 charges of sexual assault, and accused of molesting hundreds of kids, including Theo Fleury and Sheldon Kennedy. Good Job nabbing him again for 9 new sexual assault charges, though…

Kate "TG" Shefte
Stay tooooned will be spooktacular!


Macksayev
Macksayev confessions: What scares me in the NHL this year: *Scary Good Becomes Just Scary.*

My brother’s girlfriend approached me last night, asking for help buying an anniversary gift for my brother; she wanted me to advise her on where to sit for a Sabres game, she wanted help buying tickets. She had me pull up the Buffalo Sabres website, and, from there, the schedule. She pointed to the only Platinum priced game I could see, Toronto Maple Leafs, and to my shock, said she wanted to sit in the best seats in the house.

(For those unaware, my Sabres have a pricing system, Value, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum, and it’s a running joke that since the only games we make Platinum and therefore the most expensive are Leafs or Canadiens games, is a way to make the Leafs and Habs fans pay so much to fill our arena- Sabres season ticket holder purchase their season tickets and make back their $ by selling the Leafs and Habs games to those fans.)

My brother’s girlfriend wants to buy $230 (a piece!) tickets to see the Toronto Maple Leafs face the Buffalo Sabres for their anniversary; there is nothing wrong with this premise at a glance (besides paying that kind of price), last year I was lucky enough to accompany a friend who won these tickets and we crushed the Maple Leafs, no problem.

Last night I advised my brother’s girlfriend to pick another game, I told her, do not pay $500 to watch the Sabres embarrass themselves as 80% of HSBC Arena will be Leafs fans cheering.

To sum everything up: In 2006, the Sabres took everyone by surprise and in the second round of the playoffs, knocked out the Ottawa Senators, with our beloved announcer Rick Jeanneret screaming “OH NOW DO YOU BELIEVE, THESE GUYS ARE GOOD, SCARY GOOD!” Right now, I would like to ask everyone to forget that. The 2009-2010 Sabres are just scary. Not even good, no where NEAR scary good.

What’s scary to me is the Sabres. Yes, it is early, but we’re showing the signs of a classic Sabres play off collapse in October.

Mike "Mchi" Chiconsky

What scares me.
This is not an easy blog to write. Thinking of things that scare me scares me. So that would be number 2 on the list. After that comes Nuclear war, Brussels Sprouts, Professional Wrestling, That guy across the street with the awful smell coming out of his RV, the elderly, and cafeteria pudding. All these things scare me. But not as much as number 1 on the What Scares Mchi meter. Versus.

Like a plague hanging over the NHL, Versus is slowly killing pro hockey. Scheduling conflicts, slap fights with Direct TV, market lockouts. If it’s bad for hockey viewership, they do it. Versus is the vendor at the hockey rink who doesn’t bathe or wash his hands giggling as he asks you what you want on your dog. Versus is the sweaty guy pressing against you in a crowded elevator. It’s the IT guy telling you that you screwed up your monitor by turning it on and you can’t have a new one until next week. Versus is everything wrong with hockey broadcasting.

We used to have Direct TV and we had a wonderful package where we could watch local Fox Sports Affiliates broadcast of games. So we got local broadcasters who knew at least one team really well. We loved it. Yes, there was usually a bias towards their team, but not always, and you get so much more honest emotion that you feel closer to the game. We hated it when we had to watch a game on Versus because the quality of the play by play seemed to change from bright colors to dull beige. We have moved and now we have cable and Versus and it's gotten worse. I’m not going to name names here. Everyone knows who does the play by play and the color and the studio broadcasts. They are all of them experienced hockey people. Ex players, coaches and GMs for the most part. They have a very good grasp of the game but they choose to belabor tired old clichés over and over again. One team is up a goal and they become masters of puck control, or teamwork or hustle. The other team scores and they become the masters of the same things. The pithy one liners are all going away. Personally I miss Gary Thorn and Bill Clement.

And I used to like the studio stuff between periods. Really, I did. I like seeing replays of a good goal or a good save from multiple angles and seeing stuff I missed on the original play, but we don’t see too much of that anymore. We see a slow motion of a play and then all 3 or 4 guys have to weigh in on exactly what was done right or wrong.

The banter is so scripted that nobody ever says anything that sounds like an honest opinion anymore. I know they have them, they just don’t want to say them. My fondest Versus fantasy is that somebody slips a couple cases of beer into the play by play booth and the studio and everybody pounds a couple and then starts to talk like buddies watching a game should. But it will never happen and this false banter will continue. That’s what scares me.

And Lady Gaga. Seriously, she gives me the Wiggins.

"Motley" Su Ring
This hockey season is a frightening one for me personally. What am I afraid of? I'm terrified that I'm going to lose my hockey personality!

For years, I was a diehard Pens fan. I bled black and gold. I nurtured my Penguins love in solitary style, as I didn't have many friends who liked hockey, much less any team from Pittsburgh. (My closest friend at the time was a Devils fan and a bad one at that - fan, not friend).

Several years ago, I met people who liked other teams. And slowly but surely, I began finding reasons to like their teams.

Yes. I said that. I BEGAN FINDING REASONS TO LIKE THEIR TEAMS.

I admired the Detroit Red Wings' grit and compassion.
I admired the New York Islanders' willingness to bring bloggers into the same mix as mainstream media outlets. (And the fact that they had the NHL's second Korean-born player in their lineup).
I admired the Philadelphia Flyers' "never say die" attitude that nearly won them a Stanley Cup.
I admired the Buffalo Sabres'... well. Let's just say I admire the Sabres' goalie in a red, white and blue uniform.

I could go on, but I don't want to take up the entire post. Maybe one day, I'll write a "what I like about" - for all 30 teams. But I think what I wrote above gives you a little idea of my dilemma.

I think I need professional help.

Ola "Fire" Alabi
What scares me about the NHL this year is New Jersey. The $100 million dollar man has been a healthy scratch, the D hasn’t been as good as it could be, they can’t score goals and Marty is getting lit up like a Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. The one thing that makes me sad about this is the fact that people in Jersey spend their hard earned money to see them play… oh wait, no they don’t.

On a serious note, something that scares me about the NHL this year is the same thing that has scared me for awhile, and that is the inconsistency with suspensions. A hit giving a player a concussion gets 2 games, a gesture gets the same thing, and a player going after a fan after sucker punching a player and putting his hands on an official only gets 6 games, with the latter of the two incidents going unpunished. It makes the league look like a joke, and every time the NHL has a chance to send a message to its players, they choke harder than Avery does on… sticks. The entire thing makes me want to go all Jim Playfair on Campbell and Bettman.

Thomas "LW3H" Crawshaw
Things I am scared of this NHL season:

Having not been to a game in Newark in three years, the prospect of repeating my previous mistake of exiting Prudential Center and walking for 10 minutes in a direction that isn't away from Newark.

Jody Shelley in HD.

Derek Boogaard playing more than 1:30 in any game.

Discovering that Mr and Mrs Ribeiro are sitting at the next table in a sushi restaurant.

Glen Sather potentially having some cap space on 1 July 2011.


Shawn "Avs2119" Turner
It is with visions of Alex Ovechkin’s disembodied head floating in my locker that I ponder what the scariest part of the new NHL season is. Could it be the Avalanche missing the playoffs and falling flat on their faces? Sure, that is scary, especially after last night when Craig Anderson went down in warm-ups with a knee injury. Zach Parise being traded to the Detroit Redwings? That is the stuff nightmares are made of for this UND hockey nut. Neither of those scares me more than the possibility of Donald Fehr being involved in any way, shape or form with the NHLPA. Fehr seems to have a track record of work stoppages when he was with MLB. Some say he might get things done for the players, and only time would tell there as I have never followed baseball, so the only thing I have to go on is the perception of others when it comes to Fehr. I do know the thought of another NHL season lost…well, that frightens me more than standing in front of an Al Iafrate slap shot.


Happy Halloween Everyone! Don't let your kids take candy from this guy no matter how nice his Van is.....


2 comments:

  1. Alicia- I like the guys who come to the games just to boo the opposing team, seriously- how does one go through life THAT miserably without trying to slash their wrists with a roll of stick tape?

    Cassie- Too mean!! Chelios' wiki-bio confirms only that he was around during the Pleistocene era.

    CCD3M- how old are we talking here: Pleistocene old or "Crusteaseous" Era old?? Wonder if Igor could make a comeback...

    Macks- the only think platinum about the Maple Leafs are the plates in Phaneuf's head. Sabres, on the other hand have HOBIE!!!!

    Mchi- Cafeteria pudding is not so bad, although I would trade Lady Caca's liver (with fava beans and a nice Chianti) to sit in the booth with Mic and Ken for a wings game. I'd bring the widemouths.....

    Ola- "people" on the jersey shore don't work hard for their money, in the immortal words of Kevin Smith's Dante "I'm not even supposed to be here today." [at work].

    LW3H- I'll tell you what scares me- Sushi in Texas...that'll send you looking for the basement of the Alamo.

    Dammmit Shawn "a boy named Sioux"- now I am going to have nightmares of the floating head of Death- Oven-Chicken Style giving Zach Parise tips on how to deal with Detroit's Euros, while Pasha banks a Zetterburg pass of Alex's head and those "Lively" boards in Detroit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could "Like" your comment, Juice.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean people. No headshots, no slashing, nothing "Parros". We will hand out 10 minute majors and reserve the right to delete and block anyone channeling Claude LeMieux or behaving badly.