Friday, December 3, 2010

Why I WILL Be Watching the Winter Classic


There is a lot of talk among both my internet friends and my actual family and friends about just not watching the Winter Classic this year. So many people are disappointed with the match-up. People are not only angry about the Penguins getting their second Winter Classic after having one in '08, which is definitely understandable. But on top of that people are angry with it being the "media made" rivalry of Crosby and Ovechkin. It's not just going to be about the Penguins Vs. the Capitals. We all know it's going to be made into a Crosby vs. Ovechkin frenzy.

But I am actually excited for the Winter Classic just as I am every season. The first Winter Classic was automatically great because it was the first one, but I thought the snow made it even better. The second Winter Classic between Chicago and Detroit was outstanding. The two teams hate each other and the game was made part of a home and home series. The '10 Winter Classic was near and dear to my heart because I got to see my favorite team play in it which was very special.




This seaosn people feel as if the Winter Classic is almost getting ruined due to the match-up. People think that the whole meaning of the Winter Classic has been taken away which I can completely understand. When I first heard the announcement of the teams involved this year, I thought in my head "Are you kidding me?" I was assuming that we were going to see two teams that have not played in a Winter Classic before. That is obviously not the case, but I'm not going to let that ruin it for me.

I don't know how many of you have the NHL Network, but if you do then you have probably heard of or seen the documentary "Pond Hockey." If you have not seen it, then I highly recommend buying it on dvd.

Here is the trailer:
http://www.pondhockeymovie.com/trailer.html

In short the film talks about the real roots of what hockey is all about and how special pond hockey is. It also examines the unfortunate decline of kids playing hockey outside. I am not a hockey player, but I have skated on an an outdoor rink and there is nothing like it. It really gives you a new perspective on the greatest game on earth. If you ask any NHL player, I'm sure 95% of them will have countless stories of playing hockey outside in the bitter cold. The film "Pond Hockey" gives you a clear message of what the Winter Classic is all about. Yes, the NHL knows that they make a ton of money from it and they aren't dumb in choosing the Pens and Caps. They know what's going to get them money and national media attention. But to the fans and players that shouldn't matter. That is the business aspect of it. The true hockey aspect of it can be seen without the HBO documentary and without the countless articles and headlines comparing Crosby to Ovechkin (Why are we still doing that?)

At the end of the day, it is about a hockey game, but it's still not just any hockey game. It is special in its own sense. Just watching the Flyers and Bruins practicing on December 31st last year showed me what it was all about. The snow was falling and the players were just having a good time together. Then the families came out onto the ice and it was even more special. That was my fondest memory of the Winter Classic. I love moments like that when I can just appreciate the game for what it is. Hockey is a beautiful game and seeing it played outside makes it even better. Sometimes we get so caught up in rooting for specific teams and really being a fan of our favorite team before we are hockey fans, which is something that I hate to do. At the end of the day, we are all hockey fans. Most Flyers fans I know hate both the Caps and Pens and for that reason they refuse to watch the Winter Classic. To me that is going against what the Winter Classic is about.

I used to be a Caps fan but for some unforeseen reasons I am not anymore and I will actually be rooting for the Penguins to win. As a hockey fan first (Flyers and Red Wings fan second), it disappoints me that so many people are planning on boycotting the Winter Classic. To me the end of December and the beginning of January are some of the greatest months for hockey. For one, it is perfect hockey weather. But on top of that, most us start paying attention to the standings more often. We have the Winter Classic to look forward to. And we also have the WJC to look forward to. The WJC is another thing that brings my love of hockey to the forefront.

So I say give the Winter Classic a chance. Face it, you aren't going anywhere on January 1st after a fun New Years Eve. Make it a big hockey event for you. Personally I put on a jersey, make some hot chocolate, get in a comfy seat with a blanket and enjoy my morning and afternoon of hockey. That's right, you have the morning too if you have the NHL Network (as well as the day before.) Nothing beats a great game of hockey and for that reason, nothing beats the Winter Classic (Well maybe possibly the Heritage Classic but that is something special in it's own right).

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Thank you for reminding us all what its all about. Now if only the League would show the maturity and grace of such a wonderful blogger(meaning you, Miss Alicia).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you're saying Crosby and Ovechkin are in this game? Why didn't anyone say so before now?

    I'm going to watch to find out just how much Milbury can tenuously turn it into another "Ovechkin is the spawn of Euro-hell" diatribe.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean people. No headshots, no slashing, nothing "Parros". We will hand out 10 minute majors and reserve the right to delete and block anyone channeling Claude LeMieux or behaving badly.