Monday, November 29, 2010

10 Q's From The 5-Hole: JuiceinLA

Since I originally came up with the idea of a "get-to-know-you" survey for our new blog, I was given the honor of conducting the first interview. I chose to take it coast-to-coast and let you all get to know about my West Coast counterpart. Juice is one of the most passionate Red Wings fans I've ever met (and I've met quite a few!). Juice grew up in Detroit, attended Michigan State and eventually landed in very sunny and warm Los Angeles. I've been lucky enough to live near my favorite team's market my entire life, but I knew Juice would have an interesting perspective as a fan displaced from her beloved Red Wings family. Without further ado...


1) Favorite team(s):

Any team with the words “Detroit” “Red” and “Wings” in the name. Very fond of LA Kings, SJ Sharks, and for some weird reason, the Canucks. I reserve the right to revoke any such fondness for said secondary teams upon meeting up in playoffs.


2) Nearest NHL team to your location and your favorite player on that team:

I live 11.2 miles from the home of the LA Kings. That is the Staples Center to be clear, not an actually home of Kopi, or Doughty, or Simmonds or someone… why that would just be crazy..

I am a huge fan of the “Quick and Dirty”. Being from a goaltending family, I adore Johnny Quick, and “Dirty” Doughty has made me very proud in the last year or so. And also I wish someone would steal Ersberg and give him a legit shot because he has SKILZ. I will preemptively say that if Jarome Iginla comes to LA, I will be thrilled but still love the Quick and Dirty best.


3) Favorite current player(s):

Pavel Datsyuk, Pavel Datsyuk and Darren Helm. And Pavel Datsyuk.


4) Favorite all-time player(s):

Igor Larionov, the greatest, most cerebral, most underrated center to ever play the game. (and Pavel Datsyuk. And Stevie Y. And Nic Lids. And Chris Osgood. And this ashtray. And my dog shix-head.)


5) First game ever attended in person:

Whew. I can’t actually remember. My Grandpa took my sister and I to a couple games at the Old Olympia before it was torn down. He would slip the ticket-takers a 6 pack of Black Label and they would let us sit in the nosebleeds. (Saw a LOT of Tigers games that way too!) If we are being honest I probably cannot remember because all I cared about was getting a mini Gordie Howe hockey stick to match my mini Lou Whittaker baseball bat. And a bag of cotton candy. And this ashtray and my dog ….


6) Arenas visited:

The Hall of Joe-stice- the Great Joe Louis Arena in Det-riot, where I spent far too many Tuesday and Saturday evenings in the late 1990’s, Section 118, row L (I think) drinking horrible beer, trying not to fall down the aisle and watching the greatest hockey team ever assembled.

The HP Pavilion (SJ)- home of the greatest collective of loyal hockey fans this side of the Rouge River.

The Staples Center (LA)- The first sports event to which I wore True Religion Jeans, Red stilletos and an oversized Hockey Sweater but still looked like a (comparative) slob.

Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)- The place I encountered the absolute worst, most inbred, offensive, gutless wonders and not sitting in the cheap seats either. Also has the worst usher/security system.

Honda Center (Anaheim) – Formerly known as the arena with the worst fans, now just a sad place where a bunch of thugs used to maim and harm real hockey players.

Wrigley Field- 2009 Winter Classic. One of the best experiences I ever had with my darling comrade in Red Wing Arms, Jla Wings!

Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing MI- home of the Michigan State Spartans. Nothing like sitting in front of the MSU band while they play the theme from Jaws while people waive a “broken” hockey stick bearing a kitchen colander on its end, from which they dangle a sign that reads “sieve”. Good times.

Center Ice Arena in Ontario CA- Home of the Ontario Reign. This is only fun if you get to hang out there with a foam finger and Miss Motley Su. Then it’s a total blast!

Compuware Arena- Plymouth MI- Home of the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers. What, usually we could get in free, and my brother played a lot of hockey there.

Eddie Edgar Arena- Livonia MI/Plymouth Cultural Center Arena/Great Lakes Sports Arena in Fraser MI/The Ice Box in An Arbor MI, along with a gaggle of rinks in throughout Ontario Canada, where I followed my brother watching his teams play.


7) Arenas on your bucket list:

Back to the Joe, honestly. I don’t live in Detroit anymore, so the Joe is a real treat for me.

JLA Wings and I almost got to attend the 2009 All Star Game in Montreal and honestly, I think that would be the most incredible place to see a game. Oh and I would love to see a season opener in Moscow’s Red Square… any team!


8) Ever attended an NHL draft, All-Star weekend, premiere, Awards Show, Winter Classic or other special event?

Define “Special Event”… Does hanging with Mac and Cheese at The Post count? No. ok. well I was lucky enough to sit about 5 rows back from the Wrigley Field Dugouts for the 2009 Winter Classic, and I cannot encourage it enough- when your team gets a “Classic”- go. Find a way, sit in the cheap seats. Run, do not walk, do not pass go, do not roll Mike Milbury for $200 and a pair of tickets- just find a way!


9) What city currently without an NHL team should have one in your opinion?

I am not a fan of expansion, but I am not a fan of retraction either. 30 teams are enough. But if we are talking about moving Phoenix- and I think we are (wink, wink)- I vote for Saskatoon (a) because Saskatchewan is for lovers (b) they could be called the Saskatoon Sizzurps and (iii) any additions or relocations should be into Canada.


10) If you could schedule the Winter Classic this year, what two teams would be in it and what would be the venue?

Jeebuz Crikes! How did you know I obsess about the heavy handed, biased, screamingly unfair distribution of Winter Classic berths??? Its like you read my diary. And if you did, that half empty bottle of Promethazine and Grape Fanta, left resting on a decidedly un-photoshopped picture of Commissioner Bettman with his eyes “x’ed” out like a cartoon character “seemingly” engaged in lascivious latitudes with a narcoleptic goat, all tucked way with my diary in the back of my shoe closet- well those things aren’t mine. I am just holding them for a friend.

Honestly, this year’s WC should be in Yankee Stadium, Rangers and Caps.

Hey did you know there is something called the Winter Classic Curse? Wiki says that the Away team for each WC has gone on to the SCF, only to lose. “Eff You Wikipedia”. That is what I say. Now where is that sizzurp???

4 comments:

  1. kind of bummed that I missed a chance to mock Buck Twenty Kane in this interview. Why did I go with Milbury.. when "do not roll Patty Kane for $1.20" is so much funnier? sigh. Thanks Christy! this was fun, and NOW I get to choose the next victim from our Recon team.. Who do you all want me to interview???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read as always. I agree, you did miss an opportunity with Buck Twenty, but on the flip side, never a bad day when you take a shot at Milbury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Needs more Reid. Especially #4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, I wish there was a WC here, sick of waiting for it. Liked reading this, needed more Kane bashing though haha.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean people. No headshots, no slashing, nothing "Parros". We will hand out 10 minute majors and reserve the right to delete and block anyone channeling Claude LeMieux or behaving badly.