Wednesday, November 10, 2010

LW's NHL Road* Trip 2010 (Part Six)

*Technically, featuring no roads

Following Part Five, the continuation of a few brief observations from the games I'm attending while on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Game #6: Buffalo Sabres 5-4 (SO) New Jersey Devils
  • Despite spending most of the day in bed or on the toilet and feeling like I've lost about 10lbs in five hours (the "Reverse Brodeur"), the lure of seeing two bad teams that I don't support proves too much, so I make the late decision to head out
  • Surprising to see the box office lobby so full of people. Is it Tommy Albelin's jersey retirement tonight? Ken Daneyko's TV make-up crew having a meeting? Whatever it is, precisely one other person is actually there to buy a ticket, which makes more sense
  • More backup goalie dueling tonight - Enroth and Hedberg are filling in for the injured Miller and Brodeur respectively
  • My section is jam packed with annoying fans tonight:
    1. Your typical sports radio idiot sat right behind me. He yaps away constantly (sample: "I hate all Canadians except one. Spezza. And Rick Nash.") and is well on pace to smash the records for most instances of saying "Just shoot the puck!" and calling Mattias Tedenby "Tanabe", until he is moved on by someone actually having tickets to sit there
    2. His replacement is a kid unfortunately prone to greeting any routine clear or two foot pass with an exclamation you would perhaps hear had Marv Albert starred in "When Harry Met Sally" and smoked 100 a day from birth
    3. A Sabres fan rhetorically asking why Drew Stafford (#21, right-hand shot, not playing due to injury) was still in the NHL every time Rob Niedermayer (#20, left-hand shot, actually playing tonight) touched the puck. For the whole game.
  • I'd like to be able to describe the first two Sabres goals, but I was too busy projectile vomiting a bottle of orange juice across the nearest bathroom floor. Should be more embarrassed by that than I really am...
  • Having regained control of my stomach, I get to see four more second period goals as the Sabres and Devils both do a pretty good impression of teams with bad defense, which (against type and reputation) they actually seem to be
  • After the Sabres tie it up again in the third, they have most of the chances the rest of the way with Hedberg somewhat fortunately surviving several scrambles in his crease
  • His confidence up after missing the net by roughly 30 feet on a partial breakaway late in the third, Ilya Kovalchuk then caps off the shootout in sudden death by amusingly flubbing the puck slowly into the corner
Next up: The Sabres and their aforementioned backup goalie and bad defense head to MSG, where they will undoubtedly shutout the Rangers in my trip finale

3 comments:

  1. Too much McDonald's and stadium food? Or did you catch something in Philly?
    I'm hoping you're right in your Sabres/Rangers prediction so when the Caps play them right after, they're feeling complacent and less angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you have a case of Washington's Revenge. I wonder, did it start after you commented on Broduer's weight? You know his power in that area exceeds the mob's. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I pretty much never eat stadium food and much as I'd have loved to puke all over the Flyers' home (and the orange shade would've fit in nicely), I don't think I can blame Philadelphia either.

    If I was ill every time I commented on Brodeur's weight, I'd live in the hospital.

    Mostly better today anyway, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean people. No headshots, no slashing, nothing "Parros". We will hand out 10 minute majors and reserve the right to delete and block anyone channeling Claude LeMieux or behaving badly.